After about a month of working on the new amp in my CAD program and ordering parts last week, I am starting to see the project come together and I could not be more pleased. Today the Power Transformer and Output Transformer came in from Heyboer and aside from one small issue with the mounting of the output transformer, I think we have found a working model. Here are a couple of pics of the transformers that I got today along with the BUD project box that will be used to build the first working prototype.
The Output Transformer will be a custom Jackson Ampworks 18W transformer that is based on the incredibly articulate sounding Radio Spares series of output transformers. The transformer features a custom wound primary that guarantees Pure Class A operation using EL34’s, EL37’s, KT66’s, KT77’s and 6L6-GC output tubes. The secondary winding features 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps; a rarity on amps of this size.
Speaking of size, after working for about a month to get the layout just right, it’s looking like the size of the amplifier is going to be 10″ Wide x 6.5″ deep x 6.25″ tall!!! This amp is going to turn the boutique amp market on its’ ear with the first amp of its kind to be ultra-compact, ultra-affordable and have the same Jackson Ampworks construction quality that has set us apart from our competition for years!
Here is a rough layout of the components on the chassis. As you can see, the amp packs a lot of punch into a very small package!
The final version of the amplifier will feature a custom designed steel cage that wraps around the components on top of the chassis, much like the old Hi-Fi amps from the 50’s and be topped off with our very own die cast chrome plated Jackson Ampworks logo!
Standard Jackson Ampworks features include:
- 18W Pure Class A Operation using 2 Cathode Biased EL34’s
- EF86 Preamp
- 12AX7 Phase Inverter
- Volume – Treble – Bass – Contour Controls
- High/Low Input Jack
- 4-8-16 Ohm Speaker Connections
- Laser Cut Chassis
- Stainless Steel Hardware
- Clarostat 2W Sealed Conductive Plastic Potentiometers
- Silver Plated Teflon Wire
- Custom Wound Heyboer Transformers
- Precision Cut and Drilled Turret Boards
- Handwired G10 Fiberglass Turret Board
- Stainless Steel Front and Back Face Plates
- Engraved Stainless Steel Front and Back Face Plates
- Central Point Grounding with Star Ground
- Distributed Power Supply
- Gold Plated Ceramic Tube Sockets
- Mallory 150 Coupling Capacitors
- F&T Filter Caps
- Heavy Duty Carling Switches
- 1W 5% Carbon Film Resistors
- Genuine Switchcraft Jacks for Input and Speaker Connections
And now the truly remarkable part, this amp will be sold direct from Jackson Ampworks for our incredibly low introductory price of $1,299.00!!
Look for this amp to be available by Christmas of 2008. Email email@example.com and pre-order now to secure your place in line and low serial number!
Please Call 1-877-4-AMPWORKS for any questions or product inquiries!